This week’s guest is an extraordinary woman who has chased down extraordinary adventure. Barbara Jenkins, alongside her former husband Peter, co-wrote the New York Times best-sellers Walk Across America and The Walk West, which chronicled their journey as they walked across the United States back in the 1970s. Their walk was featured in National Geographic, and their books remain on reading lists in public schools across the country.
We get a glimpse into the story behind the stories, and the wisdom that Barbara has gathered along the way. Barbara has faced numerous challenges throughout her life: being hit by a car, walking pregnant across the Cascades in a blizzard, and then eventually raising three children as a single parent while navigating a writing career on her own.
Barbara’s story of resilience, extraordinary adventure, empowerment, and perseverance is a reminder that struggle is essential to growth and learning. If you have ever been faced with a crossroads in your life–the choice of whether to risk or hold back in fear, then you are familiar with the struggle to say “yes” to what is in front of you. Long after the walk was over, Barbara continued to rise up to the challenges in her life with the bravery she hopes every young woman will exude in their own lives. We hope you will join us for this week’s episode to hear how Barbara’s story shows us that:
- What might feel like a career drought at the time might actually be an opportunity to build patience and resilience into our lives
- If we truly have a passion, it will keep calling to us even if we’re not always able to dedicate as much of ourselves as we would like
- After one door closes, another door will open in due time if we’re willing to keep our heads up and keep doing the work
- It is more exhausting to live with clenched fists than open hands
- When things don’t go our way, (and, it’s life…it won’t always go our way) it’s in our best interest to let go of the resentment and learn to believe and trust that our gifts will eventually make room for us somewhere else
- Contact Barbara for speaking engagements and inquiries
- A Walk Across America: Buy it on Amazon
- The Walk West: Buy it on Amazon
- Follow Barbara’s son, Jedidiah Jenkins, on Instagram: @jedidiahjenkins