We don’t have to look very far to see that our culture’s definition of beauty is far too narrow and exclusive—and in desperate need of a makeover. Photographer and author Kate T. Parker has focused her skill and creativity towards doing the work of reshaping and expanding the concept of female beauty by empowering girls to believe that strength resides in being 100% genuine. Kate’s book, “Strong is the New Pretty,” which released in March 2017, is a collection of 175 photographs that explore and celebrate beauty based on authenticity. A mother of daughters herself, this topic is deeply personal for Kate. And if you’ve ever experienced someone trying to downplay or disregard your strengths, especially as a woman, then you’ll understand how there is still so much work to be done to equalize the playing field.
Alongside the launch of her book and collaborating with brands like Athleta, Kellogg’s and Oxygen, Kate has extended her philanthropic efforts to partner with organizations like Girls on the Run and The Bully Project investing in girls’ health and education.
If we want to live in a world where our girls get to play an active role in shaping the future it’s important to begin the work of empowering them now. And Kate’s here to tell us what we can do to join that team. We hope you’ll join us to hear how Kate’s story shows us that:
- The core of all our insecurities echoes the question, “Am I enough?”
- When we focus on discovering and developing our passion, we become less tied to external factors outside of our control
- We have to believe in our own strength first before we can convince someone else of their own
- Acceptance means allowing someone to be themselves without question
- KateTParker.com: Learn more about Kate’s work
- Strong Is The New Pretty: A Celebration of Girls Being Themselves: Buy it on Amazon
- @KateTParker: Follow Kate on Instagram